Here at the St. James Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, we employ a patient- and family-centered approach that is team-based and collaborative, with a focus on disease prevention and management. Our aim is to assist patients in maximizing cardiopulmonary function as they transition through each phase of rehabilitation, by using enhanced communications and by delivering care over the full spectrum of therapeutic disciplines, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialties, and community agencies.
Our cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program is tailored to fit the specific needs of each of our cardiac rehabilitation patients. Under the leadership of the attending physician, patients and family members work with a multidisciplinary team. Depending on the patient’s needs, this team may be comprised of a combination of professionals from the departments of Rehabilitation Nursing, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology, Psychology, Nutrition, Therapeutic Recreation or Creative Arts Therapy.
The goals of our cardiac rehabilitation program are to:
- Optimize the patient’s medical condition
- Provide patient with an individualized home exercise program that the patient can implement themselves, using target heart rate and a rate of perceived exertion (RPE) scale to guide their effort
- Maximize functional independence through a focus on performing activities of daily living and maintaining mobility in the household and the community, with and emphasis on energy conservation, pacing, and task simplification
- Improve the patient’s confidence and quality of life
- Perform a psychological evaluation to identify behavioral changes resulting from the illness and to assess the patient’s emotional support network
- Educate the patient on medication management as well as strategies for reducing risk factors and preventing illness in the future,
- Help the patient start a lifestyle modification program; depending on the patient’s needs, the goals of this program may include quitting smoking, losing weight, and taking steps to control diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension
- Establish an appropriate discharge plan for a return to Village of the Branch, NY
Call 631-862-8000 to schedule a tour or request more information today!
Village of the Branch is a village in the Town of Smithtown in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 1,807 at the 2010 census. The village incorporated in 1927. The village includes a 20-acre national historic district consisting of 15 houses, a church, and a library built between about 1700 and 1965. Located within the district are the Halliock Inn and First Presbyterian Church.
Resources for seniors and their families: